Who are we?
The Union of Tanzania Press Clubs is abbreviated as UTPC. It is an umbrella body of press clubs in Tanzania. So far it has 28 press clubs which are its members. These press clubs are geographically located all over Tanzania. UTPC is a non governmental organization which was established in 1996 and registered in 1997.
Tanzania’s development is underpinned by the protection of citizens’ rights to freedom of expression and association, and is informed by a free and active media that is independent, and uses objective coverage to push for people-centered development.
In support of this vision, UTPC will work to create conditions that enable journalists to speak truth to power. UTPC will work with Press Clubs, journalists, media owners and editors to advocate for legal and non-legal regimes that are conducive to the development of the media, that protects journalists’ rights, and that protects political and civil rights. UTPC will challenge the freelance conditions surrounding journalists, supporting them to develop their skills and negotiating power so that their well-being is enhanced. UTPC will provide a platform for citizen to speak to their perceptions about the development challenges facing Tanzania, and will support journalists to engage in objective reporting that is informed by citizens’reality.
- To facilitate the operations of the Press Clubs to ensure efficiency and uniformity in the conduct of the business of its member press clubs by harmonizing their operational set up;
- To present member clubs in collective bargaining;
- To build the capacity and ability of individual journalists, who are members of press clubs through training, research, study tours and meetings;
- To promote and maintain code of ethics for media practitioners in promoting ethical reportage;
- To print and publish newsletters or any other publication and establish any electronic media, with the aim of > To liaise with other organizations (local and international), involved in marshalling press freedom, fight against corruption, poverty HIV and AIDS, violation of human rights and related matters;
- To mobilize press clubs members, media and non media organizations and the public, against practices, regulations and laws that infringe on the freedom of the press;
- To mediate and resolve disputes and conflicts of members press clubs;
- To conduct research with the aim of promoting media’s role in catalysing development;
- To provide any other services that is not included in this Constitution.
What We Do
The Union of Tanzania Press Clubs (UTPC), support the development process of our country through media.
It supports the establishment and development of Press clubs, which are scattered all over the country.
It supports ot the Press Clubs includes inter alia;
- Training to Press Club’s members
- Exchange visits among Press Club’s members
- Equipment support
- Support Press Club Secretariats for rent, internet, electricity and water
- Supports meetings with stakeholders to cement working relationship
MEMBERS GENERAL MEETING
It is composed of three leaders from Press Clubs, who are the Chairperson, the Secretary General and the Treasurer. It is supreme policy making body of the organization.
This meeting takes place every year on 2nd and 3rd September for the memory of late Daudi Mwangosi who was the Chairperson of Iringa Press Club. Mwangosi was killed on 2nd September 2012 at Nyololo village while reporting on the opening of a branch office of the Chadema the nation's opposition political party.
THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
This is the supervisory body composed of the president the Vice President and eight more members who are elected by MGM after every three years. The list of the Board members is
- Deogratius Nsokolo : UTPC President
- Jane Mihanji : Vice President
- Andrew Kuchonjoma : Board Member
- Pendo Mwakyembe : Board Member
- Abdallah A. Mfaume : Board Member
- Salma Abdul : Board Member
- Stella Ibengwe : Board Member
- Frank Leonard : Board Member
- Habel Chidawali : Board Member
- Anna Makange : Board Member
- Eliazer Mafuru: Board Member
This is an implementing body led by the Executive Director and other staffs who are being employed on a contractual basis. The full list of UTPC staffs are;
- Abubakar Karsan : Executive Director
- Jackson Uisso : Finance Officer
- Victor Maleko : Programme Officer – Training, Research and Publications,
- Hilda Kileo : Programme Officer – Press Club Development and Administration
- Winfrida Madeni : Accountant
- Mary Ngoboko : Office Management and Secretary
- Hassan Zuberi : Driver
- Graceanna Michael : Office Assistant